Friday, June 6, 2008

Excerpts from Rick Noriega's Speech 1



This past week I’ve had the privilege of training with the best soldiers in Texas, the1-141 Infantry Battalion, the Alamo Battalion.

As you know I’ve been entrusted with the honor of commanding this unit which is the direct descendant of William B. Travis’ company and the battle at the Alamo…
This time…I’m counting on a different outcome.

Several weeks ago, our unit was alerted that they are to be deployed again to the middle-east. k
As the commanding officer, in that uniform, I have a sworn duty and obligation to take care of my soldiers so they are trained to perform their mission.

But at the same time when I’m in this uniform, as a citizen, as a citizen soldier, I have a duty and obligation to take care of the people, the families, of Texas.

To paraphrase our first President, George Washington, “When I picked up the sword I did not lay aside the citizen.”

And that is why I’m running for the United States Senate - to change the direction of this state and our country.
great state, is that Texans want change.

And we’re gathered here tonight to offer Texas new leadership.

A few years ago, everyone said Texas would be a Republican state as far into the future as anyone could imagine. You stood up and spoke out for change –more than 2.8 million Democrats voted this past spring and returned to caucus to express their support for a new leader and a new direction for our country.
Leadership is not about telling people what they want to hear, it’s about solving tough problems.
The way of life we once took for granted has become threatened because of the poor leadership of this administration.

We are facing some tough problems as a state and nation, and the politics of special interests must stop. You see, I believe that it is time we had a Senator that worked for Texas families for a change.
Texans are fed up with government that stands aside while hardworking families fall behind.

While my opponent and this administration have been in office, gas prices have skyrocketed, from $1.35 a gallon to $4.00 a gallon.

No comments: