Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Retro blogging

This is a little odd, coming as it is from a blog that calls itself progressive, but I must regress a bit to explain the sharp end to convention coverage and the long silence since.
It's easy to explain, I went on vacation. And I had little access to Internet services at Port Aransas to finish the stories I had started during the convention.
So here's kind of a rapid-fire wrap-up. And I hope to follow it with a longer discussion in the Herald Democrat Sunday, and more updates as time goes on.
Congrats to the three local folks who will be going to the National Convention. I will print your names as soon as I unpack my notebooks at home. And I'd like to talk to each of you right before the convention so we can set something up during the convention to let your home peeps know what's happening.
Also, to our great superdelegate and DNC Committeemember Bob Slagle, who also served as parliamentarian of the state convention.
Boyd Richie survived the challenge by David Van Os and Texas Democratic Party Vice Chair Roy Laverne Brooks.
The Resolutions, Platform, Rules and Nominations Committees survived, after many, many hours of debate in the grandest Democratic style and eventually all reported to the convention. After many challenges, points of order, roll call votes (all involving much higher math than many of us were comfortable with) the convention concluded with a truly wonderful platform and many fine delegates headed for Denver. The biggest accomplishments, from my perspective, was a nearly unified convention and the drawing together of 15,000 Democrats who wanted to be there badly enough to fight for their right to be seated. And bonus points to the Texas Democratic Party whose conventioneers appeared to be about 90 percent newbies and even more diversified than in former years.
I hope when Democrats meet Tuesday in Denison they will form a circle, raise their right hands and pat each other on the back. Then, stop gloating and get on to the hard and costly work of winning this nation back.

No comments: